I am a handcraft maniac. I am felling in love with needle felting, beading, photography, drawing, clay pastries and miniature making.




Friday, July 15, 2011

Japanese traditional summer dresses - YUKATA


July is the season of fireworks and yukata. Yukata is traditional Japanese garment, a casual kimono which is made of cotton, much more affordable than kimono. Everyweek there will be big firework displays and night markets and traditional dance parties in every part of Japan, many Japanese will wear yukata to attend these events.
The first time I witnessed someone wearing traditional Japanese garments was during my first trip to Japan when I was 6 years old. I was fascinated by the colors and the patterns on the long sleeved dress. They seem to have many layers and a thick pretty belt with a cute little pillow attached at the back. Everyone looks adorable with these dresses.
I finally own my first piece of yukata 10 years ago when I was studying in Tokyo. I can still remember clearly the day I chose my yukata (with very limited budget) and the pretty sales lady taught me how to wear it by myself. I learned it so well that I was able to help frustrated Japanese girls to wear their yukata in the school's changing room.
Every year there will be new designs for yukata from brand name shops. My favorite is Tsumori Chisato.

Their style can be easily distinguished from the others, they are not traditional Japanese fabric patterns, their prints are like Japanese ink paintings.


Their drawings on the belts are most appealing for me


As a cat lover, how can I resist the charm of these designs.


Although I admire Tsumori Chisato yukata so much, I never bought one, it's too expensive for me. Moreover, no one wears yukata in Hong Kong besides waitresses in Japanese restaruants.
This is the only one I have ever owned. Though it's nothing splendid but I love it, I am very pleased with what I have chosen 10 years ago.


No comments: